Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Dishes

I was staying at a mate's flat in Boston, and, while it was amazing, there was only one small blemish; the dishes. left undone for a couple of days, the ever growing pile had just, well, kept on growing. So I took it upon myself to do the dishes, seeing as my hosts were gracious enough to provide me with a residence (and a gym) for a couple of days.

As I stared at the pile of plates, saucers, pots and pans, I was stumped. I moved plates over spatulas, forks over frying pans, looking for where to begin. And I realized that Nigeria was kinda like the scenario that lay in front of me; a humongous cesspit of all sorts of stagnant fluids and quasi-solids that any man would think twice about before plunging his arms into it.


The Nigerian situation did not come about it one fell swoop. Like the contents of the sink before me, Nigeria allowed its problems to pile up, one after another. and no one was ready to do the dishes. Now the nation faces a mountain of fermenting stew, eba, amala and whatnot. And its a vicious cycle, because the higher the dishes pile up, the less willing people are to wash up. but if no one takes the plunge, the plates will pile up until they spill into the parlor and even deeper into our everyday lives.

But as with the pile before me, I am unsure as to where to begin with the country. I guess the best way is to start small, an build my way up from there. So, as I pick up a small, grease laden fork and start to scrub it, I feel a small sense of accomplishment, At least I've started the process. the changes will be nigh unnoticable at first, but hopefully, one day, the difference will be clear (like 7-up. lol).


- P.U II

1 comment:

chine said...

This was an awesome write up. Good one Pat. By the way, I'm here to help you rinse ;)