Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Resposes to Responses: Article on Women in Nigeria

After reading my previous blog entry, a few people had some things to say. A friend of mine (named Dez) was particularly vocal, saying that Nigeria had bigger fish to fry:

He said, and I quote:

"I think Nigerias problems are WAAAY bigger than any gender issue or role based confusion.
Not to take anything away from this but its like worrying about a flat tire when your engine transmission is toast. How easy is it for ANYONE to make ...it in Nigeria regardless of gender?

In terms of relationships I think you just need to find the person on the same page as you. If you are female and wanna spend day and night cooking and cleaning then you can find the kind of guy that wants a house wife. If you wanna spend day and night hustling then you can find the kind of guy that wants a hustler . If you are more in the middle (and so on). There is no "right" or "wrong" role for women or men. There are just arbitrary constructs people with opinions put forward."





Astute observations, yes - My response is as stated below:








Just to clarify, this isn't a forum for debating gender issues and their place in society. Each gender has their strengths and weaknesses, and we are here to complement each other. This is simply commentary based on my observations, as well as some of my opinions. If you don't agree, that's okay (but you can still go and hug transformer).

@ Dez - astute observations as always. one thing though - I did mention a general perspective. I quote - "discrimination in itself would always have existed in society. As long as there is division, there can be conflict and discrimination." once we are different in any way (sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, tribe) there is room for opposition and oppression. I was just putting things into context for the pertinent issue. Of course there are greater problems, but that doesnt mean the little ones dont exist. To put my 'discrimination' point into perspective, I'll cite a timeless joke by Emo phillips:




Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"




He said, "Nobody loves me."



I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"



He said, "Yes."



I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"



He said, "A Christian."



I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"



He said, "Protestant."



I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"



He said, "Baptist."



I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"



He said, "Northern Baptist."



I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"



He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."



I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."



I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"



He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."



I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

So yeah, the society probably has bigger problems than the oppression of Northern conservative baptists of 1912 by Northern conservative baptists of 1879, but the fact is that that man still got pushed over the bridge because of it. lol. that joke is hilarious btw.

Just to top things off - my introductory sentence stated that I was prone to coincidences-. The day after I wrote this piece, a lady friend of mine in the gym was being hit on by an older (much older) man, and later came to me (unprompted) bewailing the general attitude of men towards women in the country - objectifying them and making it seem like they are unable to do things without a man's help. I then referred her to my writeup. Shameless plug, I know, but I hereby declare myself quasi psychic. lol

Enjoy your day folks




- Pat II

No comments: